Friday, February 7, 2020

What does a natural deodorant need?

When I started researching natural deodorants my first goal was to determine what the purpose was for my product.  It isn't an antiperspirant. The notation below is NOT my goal. I also don't want to create something that is considered a poison if swallowed.


What is antiperspirant deodorantAntiperspirants help to reduce the production of sweat. Aluminium salts – the active ingredient found in antiperspirants – dissolve into the moisture on the skin's surface. This forms a gel, which temporarily sits on top of the sweat gland, reducing the amount of sweat released.


I knew I did NOT want aluminum, or aluminium.  I wanted to make a deodorant which is meant to allow you to sweat, absorb that sweat, and stop bacteria from growing.  I also wanted to introduce some fragrance to cover body odour if these three levels of defense didn't hold up.

Baking Soda: Baking soda works well.  It does kill bacteria and keep people smelling fresh.  However I read review, after review, after review and kept finding that the deodorants with baking soda were the same ones that gave people rashes.  I decided I would not use baking soda.

Magnesium Hydroxide:  Option 2

"Studies have shown that Magnesium Hydroxide does not absorb into the skin. Instead, its main purpose in a natural deodorant is to counteract any odor-causing bacteria on the surface of the skin without impacting the dermis – the layer of skin where sweat glands, pores and hair follicles are contained."
source: https://www.garrisonminerals.com/

I chose magnesium hydroxide with three absorbents.  After two months my husband and I were satisfied with the texture (not too sticky, not too gooey, not too stiff), fragrance, and performance.  It's pretty awesome!  Everyone who has used our deodorant has loved it.  I can't explain it really but I feel all around healthier.




No comments:

Post a Comment