Monday, February 3, 2020

Why I will NOT use Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI)



I will NOT use SCI in my products.  It is very popular these days, I would say it has a cult following. Most who have jumped on this bandwagon have probably not done thorough research on the product.  I have kept to myself with my awesome saponified solid shampoo bars, and minded my own business.  However, now the cult members are being bullies so I will speak out too. You rudely tell me your opinion (as anonymous) , I will politely tell you mine (as myself not hiding). You make choices for your business, I will make informed choices for mine.

1) Where does it come from?  Well... there is one factory in Germany making this product and 12 factories in China. The odds are yours is from China.  I worked for China once, it was not pleasant. A Vice President tried to motivate me by telling me my mother was ashamed of me.  I called her and she said that wasn't true. Until their human rights conditions improve I don't want to buy Chinese products.

Reference:
https://www.buyersguidechem.com/chemical_supplier/Sodium_cocoyl_isethionate

2) How is it made?  It is made under vacuum pressure for over four hours at temperatures between 200 - 260 ­°C. This is energy intensive, thus GHG producing in China... already GHG producing enough.  Reference US Patent Number: 6,069,262

3) It is toxic to fish.  My sewer ends up in a nearby lake. I'm not putting this down my drain, as it will go with the suds... down the drain to the lake. H412 Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects

Reference:
https://www.carbosynth.com/80257AD2003D1CDB/0/7B81F725652F00C08025817700263550/$file/MSDS+-+FS55424+-+SDS120974.pdf

4) Most importantly to me, it was tested on animals. ðŸ˜  My company is a cruelty free company. We don't test on animals and we don't knowingly use products that were tested on animals.  The following is from the SCI  SDS.  "All rats survived until study end".  😠😠😠

Reference:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.3109/10915819309141599

PRODUCT SAFETY LABS. (1984b). Submission of unpublished data by CTFA. Primary skin irritation in rabbits of a 5% solution of Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate. (3 pp.)

MICROBIOLOGICAL Associates, INC. (1991a). Submission of unpublished data by CTFA. In vitro chromosomal aberration assay on LB-7818-1 (Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate) in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells. Study No. LB-7818. (65 pp.)*



1 comment:

  1. Hey I had a question. Totally support your point of view but the solide shampoo on the picture contains sodium hydroxide which is also toxic. What is your opinion on that? or did you find another recipe without any of those two? thanks a lot.
    Have a great day. Candice

    ReplyDelete